Blue Lagoon Group

Book Now

Beaches of Kos Island

Beaches of Kos Island

The most popular beach of Kos is Paradise beach, a beautiful and sandy beach where you will find sun beds, water sports and an ideal place for families with children. Agios Stefanos Beach is a well organized sandy beach, 38 km west of Kos. Elia beach is an isolated beach with scattered rocks. Ammos is a long, sandy beach, 5 km north of Kos. Kamares is a long, sandy beach, 42 km southeast of Kos. Kefalos Beach is a sandy beach located 43 kilometers southwest of the capital city and is preferred by windsurfers. Psalidi is a beach with pebbles and is located 5 km south of Kos. Approximately 8 km west of the town of Kos you will find the beach of Tigaki, a large and organized sandy beach. If you want to find a quiet beach, you should look in the west side of the island.

The Castle of the Knights of Saint John

The Castle of the Knights of Saint John

The castle of the Knights of the Order of Saint John is situated at the entrance of Kos harbour on what used to be an island in antiquity, communicating with the inland through a bridge that one can still see even today namely the bridge of “Phoinikon" (Palm Trees) Avenue. The castle consists of two defensive precincts. The interior one has four circular towers in the corners; the south-eastern tower forms part of the exterior precinct, which is the larger one of the two, with massive bastions on the four corners, battlements and gun ports. The two precincts are separated by a large moat and communicate with a drawbridge.

The castle was built of local stone as well as parts of ancient buildings (columns, architraves, bases etc.) from the ruins of the ancient city. On the upper part of its masonry, one can see many blazons. Over the main gate' s one sees an Hellenistic frieze with masks and garlands. On the gates ceiling (the central gate, known as the Carmadino gate) there are basalt columns placed obliquely, which come probably from the early Christian basilica of Limenos. From travellers' descriptions, we know that the interior precinct was built a little before the end of the 14th century when the sultan Bayazit I 's attacks on the city were becoming more intense.

The oldest remaining part of the castle is the circular tower to the left of the draw bridge, through which the two precincKos Island - Castle Air Viewts communicate, and bears the blazons of two Grand Masters: De Lastic (1437 - 1454) and De Milly (1454 - 1461). The exterior precinct is behind the interior, its construction began in 1495 by the Grand Master D' Aubusson, continued by D' Amboise and completed by Del Carretto in 1514. On the northern side, between the two precincts, there used to be a warehouse constructed by the knights; it was restored during the Italian occupation and today is a museum, where one can see altars, sculptures and inscriptions.

NEW AWARD for the BLUE LAGOON GROUP

NEW AWARD for the BLUE LAGOON GROUP

The TUI HOLLY awards were announced on 6th of March 2017. The TUI HOLLY is the tourism award "Oscar" of the 100 best hotels cooperating with TUI Germany.

This prestigious prize was given for the fifth consecutive year to our hotel Palazzo del Mare, 5 stars, in Marmari, Kos. It should be mentioned that the awards are always based solely on hundreds of thousands of customer feedback during the last season. The TUI Germany cooperates with 8000 hotels all over the globe.

SHARE THIS PAGE:

Blue Lagoon Group

Lambi, 85300 Kos, Dodecanese, Greece
Tel: +30 22420 54560 Fax: +30 22420 26230
e-mail:info@bluelagoonresort.gr

Blue Lagoon Group

Blue Lagoon Group Welcome to the Blue Lagoon Group a group of 5-star and 4-star luxury hotels on the beautiful islands of Kos and Karpathos. The Blue Lagoon Group is in the hospitality business to provide superior service at competitive prices.>